Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bus(c)h League Soccer



Three things have disappointed my father more than anything else:

(1) I never read any of the Lord of the Rings Books
(2) I never did Boy Scouts
(3) I was inept as a soccer player

Now that I'm 25 and realize the sacrifices that my pops has made for my betterment I decided to try and make amends. So I signed a letter of intent to play for Team Boom Shaka Laka of the Bud Sports Adult Soccer League.

Last weekend, the team took the pitch for the first game of our eight game regular season. We knew very little about our opponents, Team Evil, but their apparent lack of attention to pregame calisthetics led us to beleive they would be a push over. However, that was before we realized that they had former World class goaltender Jorge Campos minding the net.



This guy was ridiculous. Leaping saves, diving saves, kick saves, he did it all. Even when Andy cleated him in the face, earning a yellow card, he came back, better than ever. Just a true competitor. The first half ended with both teams deadlocked at one, and Team Boom Shaka laka regretting having done nothing for the past seven years but smoke two packs of Lucky Strikes a day. Tad out of shape.

The second half was much of the same. Our team spent the majority of the half in the opponent's zone but continued to be stymied by the brick wall. The minutes melted away and with a tie seemingly imminent, I declared a moral victory, but my roommate Drew had other intentions. Doing his best Thierry Henry impression, he netted the game winner with less than five minutes to go. Unfortunately unlike Henry, though, Drew's celebratory dance was a little more subdued.


Heading into next week's game the Bud Sports League Power rankings have us listed at number one, although a closer look makes it seems that these rankings are based on wins and then alphabetical order. But, you never know.

No comments: